Friday, October 24, 2014

Trick or Treat? Gluten Free Edition

Ah Halloween...as a kid one of my favorite holidays, as a mom-not so much. We live in the country so we are constantly getting in and out of vehicles, which leads to fewer costume choices and potty breaks and whining and kids trying to eat all their candy while we drive house to house. I mean have you ever tried to get wings on and off a three year old all night? Since 3 out of the 4 are older, its much easier and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law live in a great development now so we have been going there for a quick loop around the development for the past few years and my kids have enough candy and I don't have to worry about dragging kids in and out of my minivan!

 I always remember the big scary talks we had in school about not taking candy from strangers and make sure your parents inspect the candy (which is how a few of your parents favorite candy pieces went missing). Does anyone else remember those talks? All good advice but as a mom of a kid that has Celiacs, I have to be hyper aware of what she puts in her mouth even though it is perfectly fine for most kids. I couldn't get through Halloween with out the help of the website, www.myglutenfacts.com. Another trick I've learned is to stock up on  the Celiac/Gluten intolerant kids' favorite candy of all time...that way you can swap all the bad stuff out with their favorites and they are happy campers!

So what gluten or not gluten treat is your favorite?


No comments:

Post a Comment